Saturday, November 8, 2008

Freedom of speech

So much has been on the news lately about Prop 8 in California. I never really speak about politics, because I feel I don't always sound smart. I feel I need to say something and since this is my blog I am going to speak or write my thoughts.

I grew up in California and my parents still live there. They have been very involved with Prop 8 and getting information out about it. This is not church doctrine material, it is the same information you would get in the mail and most likely throw away without reading it. Many people have spent alot of hours to get the word out about Prop 8 and it makes me so sad that the LDS Religion is being blamed for it passing. It has been said that church and state should be kept separate, and that "The Mormons should stay out of it". Well if a Mormon lives in California then they have the right to vote and are allowed to be involved.

I found this post on a friends blog and thought I would share it. It made me so sad, thanks Nicole for posting it.


Dear family and friends, Monday Oct. 27, 2008 I had a very disturbing experience yesterday that I would like to share with those of you that live outside of California (or outside of the San Francisco Bay area). This weekend we have stake conference. Our stake conference always begins with a stake temple session on Friday or Thursday night. Early Friday morning I received a call from the second counselor in our bishopric to let me know that there would be numerous protesters outside the temple, and to remind everyone to stay calm and to drive carefully. The beautiful Oakland Temple is located right across the bay from San Francisco, very close to the city of Berkeley. Apparently the opposition to proposition 8, the amendment that seeks to make marriage in Ca, between a man and a woman again, has realized the deep involvement of the church and begun to protest right outside of the temple and harass temple patrons. The fastest way to get to the temple from our house is to take the 680 freeway, but the exit is a bit tricky. The off ramp is extremely short and straight uphill. You then make an almost blind left turn, an immediate right and another left into the parking lot. As we approached the off ramp I realized there would be trouble, there was a backup onto the freeway from cars stalled on the off ramp. As we moved forward inches at a time, we realized this was due to a large group of loud protesters who were standing on both sides of the street, yelling, screaming and waving signs. When we got to the top of the off ramp, ready to make our turn, one protester jumped out right in front of our car. It took my husband all his self control to carefully maneuver around him to the left and proceed to the temple. I tried not to listen to all they were shouting at us, but I was shaking as I got to the temple front door. Several of the sisters, especially the ones driving on their own, were crying (which made me snap out of it and go into the RS President mode to comfort them). Later, as I was sitting in the perfect quiet of the chapel, I couldn't help but think of Lehi's dream, and the people who mocked the Saints from the big spacious building but 'we heeded them not'. It was a truly surreal experience, I'd never thought that I would have to go through an angry crowd to go to the temple. As we left late at night, the protesters had dispersed, temple security (who all looked very large and Tongan) stood by the gates. I never saw a single police man. Please pray for those of us in California fighting for prop 8--it's getting kind of scary out here!

This truly is just like Lehi's dream. I feel that I have to fight for what I believe in. I don't dislike or even hate those who have a different view on what a marriage should be, but they should also have the same respect for me and what I believe a marriage should be. I hope no one is offended by this post but I couldn't keep quite anymore.

Thank you to all those that worked so hard in California and other states to get the word out. May God bless us all.

7 comments:

Tennille said...

What a scary experience for your friend! And good for you for posting your thoughts on the issue. :)

J Glazier said...

WOW scary but what an experience. my brother is serving in CA and we get worried about him knocking on doors now.

Juliana said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm going to pass this on to my sister who lives in California... who got married at the Oakland temple a year ago.

Dani said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have been amazed at all of the anger towards our church since election day. It makes me really sad. My nephew leaves on his mission this week to California. Should be an interesting experience for him.

Anonymous said...

I had that email forwarded to me and I have to say that I feel so proud this week to be a member of our church. It does seem scary what is happening around us and is easy to get caught up in the media of it all but I think it has only strengthened my testimony of following and believing in our prophet here on earth.

Tricia said...

Thank you so much for sharing that... I am so grateful to be a part of this church! I did think it was quite 'stand up' that several leaders of the Catholic Church released statements backing us up... including this one:
"It is worth noting that our two churches joined with a wide alliance of people from different faiths and ethnicities including Orthodox, Jews, Evangelicals, Hispanics, African Americans, Asians and Anglos. Our defense of traditional marriage should in no way be interpreted as an attack on any person. To the contrary, we honor the dignity and sacredness of each individual." - John C. Wester
It all comes down to the basics.... and I'm so grateful for our church leaders' guidance and steadfastness. I will follow the prophet.

Nicole said...

Scary isn't it? I take comfort in knowing that the Lord is watching over them in CA and the temples. but STILL, it is frightening.