Sunday, November 23, 2008

Calories burned

Have you ever wondered how many calories you burn in a day. I have thought about this lately, not quite sure why. I have a heart rate monitor that will tell me calories burned, I wear this when I workout. I decided to wear it all day and see what it would tell me. So yesterday, I put it on at 7:30am and went for a run, I only did 1 1/2 miles because my lungs were burning from the cold. I did some yard work and then ran errands and other normal mom stuff. When it came time to get ready for bed I took off the monitor and read the calories burned for the day. I had had the monitor on for 11 hours 48 Min's and 23 seconds, the calorie count was 3760. I was a little surprised and very pleased. It is nice to know that doing my "mom" job I can burn allot of calories. This doesn't give me the right to eat that many calories now, but makes me feel better about the 3 reese's peanut butter cups I ate at 9pm last night. So all you mom's out there can rest assure that our job is worth it in so many way's.

As most of you know I have been trying to regain my pre-baby figure. I started back in April and have had some great help from friends. I started by changing my workouts to include weights, going to the gym more often and cutting back on my snacks. I then got in the habit of drinking more water and eating smaller portions. I can honestly say it worked for me. Seven months later I am down 16 pounds and 2 1/2inches in the waist. I would like to loose 5 to 6 pounds more and still tone up my stomach more, but now that I am 38 years young, I know it might take time and may never get to exactly what I want. I am happy with the results and even put a dress on last week and didn't have to wear a girdle with it. It made me cry. I also feel allot better and have more energy to handle my daily mom duties. So a big thanks to Shauna for showing me what to do with the weights and going to the gym with me so early in the morning, thanks to LauraLee for encouraging me and getting me running with her and Shelley.Thanks to Shelley for getting me to race and pushing my limits. Thanks to K1 for allowing me the time to do all this. I am doing another race on Thanksgiving day and hope the cold air doesn't kill me.

For my next experiment I want to put the monitor on K2 and see how many calories he burns in a day. I can only imagine.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Way to go Gail! You sure don't look 38! I hear once you hit 30 its all down hill. I guess I'm headed that way since I turned 30 this year! But you've given me hope that I can look great at 38!

Tennille said...

You look fabulous!

J Glazier said...

You do look fabulous. If you find a magic workout for the mid section do tell!! I feel like mine will never be the same, some skin just doesn't shrink back :(

Tricia said...

You do look awesome... and thanks for the inspiration for me to get up and get going!

Sabine Berlin said...

Way to go! I need to start again. I keep saying once the house is finsihed, but I know I should start now!

Shaunee said...

You're an inspiration! You're awesome! keep up the good work and let me know your secrets!