Saturday, March 7, 2009

I am so proud

S kept telling me she needed to writ and essay for school. I was a little confused, because she is in 1st grade and I hadn't heard anything about it. So I talked to her teacher and found out that the school was having a contest during Freedom week and you could write an essay on "What the Flag means to me". So with that knowledge K1 and I decided to let S write her first essay. So one night as I put the boys to bed, S and K1 started on the essay. Within 1/2 S had her rough draft done, K1 told me that she came up with everything and he helped with spelling. So here is her essay:

What the flag means to me. by S Payne

When I see our flag, it reminds me of my grandpa. He served in the Navy for 38 years. I also think about the freedoms we have. We are lucky we have a free Country. Freedom means you have a choice to do what you want to do. I read a story that talked about the first flag made, it flew at Fort McHenry. It was made with 400 yards of material. Our flag is the symbol of our Country and our Freedom.


She turned this in, and then one day when she came home from school she told us she got her essay back. She then hands me a folder, that has a gold medal attached to it, which I assume they just give to everyone who enters, but I was wrong. I opened the folder and found her essay and a certificate that said "Essay Contest Wiiner" Freedom Week "What the Flag means to me" 1st Grade awared to S Payne. Apparently she won the overall award for 1st grade. I was so happy for her, she showed everyone and even called her grandparents to tell them about it. I am glad she got her dads ability to write stories and even make up song on the fly.

3 comments:

Tennille said...

She did such a great job!

Tricia said...

Woo-hoo! She did such a great job! Way to go, S!

Sabine Berlin said...

Way to go S! What a great talented smart and beautiful girl you have there!