Monday, July 7, 2008

I SURVIVED.....

A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be fun to sign up for the Provo Freedom Run. I talked my friend into doing it with me and I started running more often, well ok for the first time. This year I have really been focusing on working out and eating better, so I figured why not try running a 5K. Well my friend signed up for the 10K because it was the same price as the 5K. So not wanting to run it alone,I signed up for the 10K. K1 thought I was crazy and said" you can't just decide one day that you are going to run a race". Well, I did and wow, what an experience. Friday morning I was a little nervous but felt great. The race started and I soon realized I had not run up hill at all in my training, so after 1 mile of a slight incline my friend left me. (although I kept her in my sights for the next couple of miles) Once I hit the part of the course that is on the parade route, I realized I couldn't stop and walk at all because of the hundreds of people staring at me. I kept going and going and going. I hit mile 5 and my legs were starting to feel it, but I had some good music in my ear and felt I could last 1 more mile. Half way through that last mile it starts back uphill again and try as I might, I had to stop running and take to walking quickly. I came into the finish line 6 mins. behind my friend and with K1 and the kids cheering me on. I finished under my goal time and I was not last. Overall I am very happy with my results and look forward to doing better next year. Thanks K1 for your support and encouraging words.




feeling good



glad to be done

9 comments:

Mariah said...

That is so awesome!!! Doesn't it feel good? Running is so awesome because everyone is cheering each other on & you've always got another race to beat your time :)

Tennille said...

Very impressive, especially since you just started running. And any running accomplishment is impressive to me!

crystal said...

Way to go gals! That's awesome you stuck with it and kept going!

J Glazier said...

Awesome! I wanted to run this year but we had so much going on that week and we slept in. Next year I'm in :)

Holly said...

What an accomplishment!

kingwritergirl said...

You guys are awesome, I can't beleive you ran almost that whole time, I don't rememebr the last time I ran one mile without stopping to walk. WOW!! Congrats

Brenna said...

That's awesome. Hearing about you doing it makes me think I should start running again!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Way to go you two! That is great!

Dani said...

I'm in next year too! Congrats!!