Thursday, July 10, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

So today I turn 38. Yep, I am only 2 years away from 40. I have never been one to care about my age. (since I seem to act childish most of the time) For some reason though I have been very emotional about this birthday. It could be that my request for gifts have gotten less personal. Last year I requested a swing set, so my kids would have something to do and this year I requested a tree for my front yard. Thanks to my hubby and in-laws (and to Ben Platt for planting it), I now have a tree in my front yard. It could also be that I am struggling to find my HIDDEN talents and use them, or that I haven't decided if I should have another kid, or that I am just hormonal. What ever the reason this one is tough for me. As some of you know I have tried to change my eating habits, I have been working out more and even ran a race for the first time in my life. Oh my gosh it just hit me......I am having a mid-life crisis. Is this possible at 38?
I guess I could have one at any age, but thought you had to be going through menopause for that. I guess that is next in my life at this point.

I am glad that I have 3 wonderful kids (most of the time), a great husband, and wonderful family and friends all around me. I have a home (well, 2...does anyone want to buy a townhouse in Provo?), clothes to wear and food to eat. I do have more then some and for this I am grateful.

My kids have been making plans for my Big day. S asked me yesterday; "Mommy do you know what I want to get you for your birthday?" I said , "NO?" She then said, "Well I need to call daddy to tell him because I haven't been shopping yet." K1 is taking an early lunch today to take her shopping. K2 told me he wants to get me and elephant for my birthday. I said, "Where would we put an elephant?" K2 replied, "In the backyard, of course." I said, "We don't need an elephant." To which he replied, "but I , I mean YOU really need one." So, it comes down to the fact that K2 really wants an elephant and my birthday is a good excuse.

I went to the gym this morning and had a great workout with a friend. Good start to my day, once S got up she came into my room and asked me to follow her, I went to the kitchen and found that she had prepared a bowl of my favorite cereal (special k with strawberries) for me It has been a good day so far. I am sure I will get over being 38 just in time to turn 39 and have something else to talk about.

So to this BIRTHDAY I say " BRING IT ON"

8 comments:

Tennille said...

Indeed! Happy birthday to you!

crystal said...

Happy Birthday Gail! Sorry about the emotional turmoil...I have those days too!

kingwritergirl said...

Happy Birthday!! I think you are so awesome, I know I think of you as being 18 or so. Who knows how old yo are mentally??

Have a great birthday!!

Juliana said...

Haaaaaappy Birthday!!

And happy Midlife Crisis, too! Let me know if you want to go shopping for a convertible!

Dani said...

Happy Birthday!! If what you described is a mid-life crisis, than I'm having one too!! I think you are amazing. I am so impressed all the time by you and your family. Have a really great day!

Michelle C. said...

I think an elephant is a great idea. I'm dying to know if you ate sushi, and if you kept it down?

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Happy Birthday Gail! Let me know what crazy thing you want to do next for your mid life crisis, and I will join in. :)

Sabine Berlin said...

Happy Happy Late Birthday! PS I am cutting my hair today! Ahhhhhh!