Saturday, April 4, 2009

I did it

With a pained look on my face and tears in my eyes, I completed my first half marathon. I had prerace jitters that didn't go away until after the race began. I tried to keep a 10 minute mile pace with friends, but was surprised when I had to back off from them before mile 1. Once I hit mile 1 I looked at my watch and saw that I did it in 8 mins and 58 seconds. Well that explained why I couldn't keep up with them, they were just too fast for me. I stopped for 30 to 40 seconds at each water station to drink and stretch,then kept running. I was glad to see hubby, kids and friends in between mile 5 and 6. Once I hit mile 7, I was happy to see that I had made it past the half way point. I saw the family again between mile 9 and 10 and got high fives from the kids. It really does something to your self esteem, when you have someone cheering you on. I got a little worried around mile 10, when you are going down and then up again for at least 1/2 a mile. My body started to rebel and I started to doubt myself. I didn't give up though and started to bounce my head in time with the music on the Ipod. I called the hubby at mile 12 to make sure they were at the finish, because I was almost done. He told me to step up my pace and I told him I couldn't. As I rounded the corner and saw the finish line and my family, I gave it all I had left and crossed the finish line. I then went to stretch and started to cry. I don't know really why I was crying, but it felt good. I didn't hit my goal time, (wasn't that far off) but considering the weather I think I did really well. Here are a few photos for your enjoyment.




12 comments:

Shauna said...

Awesome Gail! Good job! I am sure this will be the first of many 1/2 marathons. ;)

Tennille said...

I totally would have cried, too. I'm so proud of you!!

Tricia said...

I'm so proud of you... and a bit inspired! *Ü*

Mariah said...

It's funny how even though you look like you're in pain and sad, I look at your pictures and it makes me want to run a race again. Aaaahhh...the highs of running! I'm so glad it went well for you. Congrats!!!!

J Glazier said...

Way to go! I think you have me itching for a race now. Hats off I don't know if I would have handled it in the snow and cold.

Nicole said...

This is so inspiring, Gail! I totally know what you mean about the first mile of the race, the adrenaline gets ya going faster than you think you are. Good job for believing you can do it!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I too am so impressed. Way to go, Gail!

Christine said...

I'm so proud of you Gail! You did awesome :]

lyndsey said...

Gail you rock! That is such a bi accomplishment. Nice work!

Sabine Berlin said...

WAY TO GO!

Jo-Anne said...

YAY! GOOD JOB, YOU!!! How wonderful...even in the snow!!! You should be very proud of yourself. :):):)

The Adventures of Jakers said...

Way to go Gail!